[ic] RE: PayPal working with IC?

Lyn St George interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 02:16:59 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:20:54 -0800, Patrick Breitenbach wrote:

>I am not aware that a PayPal module has been developed for Interchange.
>PayPal makes available a generic interface which would support the creation
>of such a module (see paypal.com/pdn). I think PayPal would be an excellent
>payment method for many Interchange merchants and would be happy to assist
>any efforts to develop one.
>-pb-

I've just been investigating Paypal, and found a number of objections
to it as a normal gateway, one of which is quite serious.

If a customer to your shop wants to buy something through Paypal, he
first has to be not only registered, but also confirmed, as a Paypal member.
To become confirmed means that he takes the Paypal PIN from his next
credit card statement and goes back to the Paypal site to finish the
registration process. This means, quite obviously, that any customers
to your shop who are not already Paypal members will need to wait
for up to a month before Paypal allows them to buy anything from you.
What do customers do when they can't buy it from you now ...... ???

Paypal only accept US$ - this may be OK for one country in this big
world, but not for the rest of us.

A few other niggles too .. you need to be in their list of "approved"
countries, they accept only a few cards ...

In summary, it seems to me that Paypal, far from being "an excellent
payment method for many Interchange merchants", would possibly
be suitable as an emergency backup or last resort only.

My tuppence worth - other opinions may vary.