[ic] The PayPal Soapbox continues. . . .

Julia Jacobs interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 13:56:01 2002

On 2/21/02 1:12 PM, "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net> wrote:

> They are also shady characters in that the use BAIT AND SWITCH.  They
> put all these logos everywhere about how you can pay with your CC using
> paypal, for example, ebay auctions, but you cannot unless you  have 0
> balance in your paypal account.  This is totally bogus.  They don't tell
> you that until later.
>
> Boycott PAYPAL
>
> Chad

Why would you want to use your Credit Card with PayPal?  If your going to
use your Credit Card for a transaction, buy from someone with a frigging
legit merchant account so your under the warrantee of Visa or Master Card!

Like I said before, PayPal guarantees the security of the transaction (that
no one will hack into their site and get your account information), but they
cannot guarantee that the seller is not a shady character.   And regarding
ebay:
Ebay is like a Turkish bazaar when it comes to fraudulent types.  There's a
huge, massive disclaimer on just about every page saying "we are not to be
held responsible for all of the shady characters that will swindle you into
buying the crap that you will probably never get" (I'm using artistic
license and hyperbole here).  This alone should be a giant red flag to
anyone buying anything on ebay wether it be via PayPal or ebay's own money
transfer system (I forgot what they call it).  PayPal fills a much needed
void otherwise so many people would not be using it.  But like anything
else, be responsible and don't abuse it.

<voice of forest gump> an that's what I got to say about that </voice of
forest gump>
--
Julia Jacobs
Currant Media