[ic] interchange was fast now slow

Thu Feb 21 13:57:15 2002

At 01:06 PM 02/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > Aaron -
> >
> > Unless this box is sitting right on your desktop, don't
> > overlook networking
> > issues. Ping and traceroute your server from your location.
> > If you see high
> > latency and/or packet loss, that will definitely impact the end-user
> > experience.
> >
> > - Ed L.
>Hi Ed,
>
>That's what Im looking into now.  Ping works fine, but I cant run
>traceroute to or from.  When running trace from here to the server it
>basically only gets out of the building then starts printing out "*"
>(asterisks) 3 in each row and I don't know what that means.

Your host may have set there firewall to block the requests generated by
tracert; it is a broad defense against packeting attacks.

>   When I run
>from the server, it goes until it gets pretty close to me and then
>starts doing the same thing (* * *).

Perhaps the same by your ISP.

>  I can trace from the server to
>another site no prob, and it seems to be quite fast so I guess its
>something between here and there, I just have no way of going to the
>site via another location to check.
>
>Ill let you all know what I find out.
>Thanks,
>Aaron

In any case, ping can tell often tell you if there is a networking issue
(just not "where" the problem lies). I'd ping with about 20 or 30 reps and
see if it reports any packet loss.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax