[ic] Re: Recommendation for CA to issue Certs. (now wildcard cert info)

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 13:58:25 2002

On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 01:46 , Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:

> Extactly, this is as I understood it so why are they calling this
> subdomains?  Wouldn't A.COM be the domain for A and B.A.COM have a
> subdomain B for domain A?
>
> Would it not appear that Thawte is altering their definition of
> wildcards from supporting any hosts within a domain to defining
> subdomains?  What happens if you do not use subdomains?
>
> Barry

Just how you are describing it.  technically  domain.com is a
subdomain.    So for  www.domain.com

.com is the top  level domain
domain is the subdomain of .com
www is a subdomain of domain