[ic] Distance calcs based on 2 zips

Dan S. interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 13:16:00 2002

> Right now we are using curl to query mapquest which is slow. As a
> temp fix we're storing the returned data in SQL to save from having
> to query mapquest all the time.
>
> BUT it would seem to me that there has to be a solution out there
> where you can plug in 2 zip codes and perform a lookup to grab the
> distance between the 2 points. It doesn't seem that difficult of a
> concept. Right now we are compiling data slowly but I am also sure
> somewhere there is a database of this information already compiled..
> Maybe not
>
> US Zipcodes :)
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Ven
There are several solutions. Just do a query on google for
"zipcode distance lookup"
Also search sourceforge.net for zipcode.
They appear to have a dump of the zipcode locations.

There is some php code for doing the actual calculation at:
http://px.sklar.com/code-pretty.html?code_id=253

A discussion and links to download some databases (some free) can be found here:
http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/newsletter/2000/jan/zipcodes.html

-dan