[ic] softgoods

Wed Feb 27 19:50:01 2002

> Quoting Paul Jordan (paul@gishnetwork.com):
> > Is anyone out the an expert on IC regarding downloadable goods. Our
store is
> > fully functional, and you can shop, purchase and download goods, (with
the
> > test CC of course). A friend and I have been talking and he has been
saying
> > I may want to change my delivery method. He said IC may give you
problems
> > when multiple people start buying/downloading these .zip files.
>
> This is true.
>
> If you expect to sell lots of softgoods, the best thing to do is make
> your enabling procedure provide a symlinked directory for a separate
> HTTP download.

We have a client who also wishes to set up a downloadable goods store with
many thousands of products.
The concern is that with http download, even if the base download directory
changes every 30 minutes, what strategy should be used to stop the customer
attempting to download products by guessing similar SKU codes?

i.e.

Customer purchases two items and is presented with two urls:

http://www.store.com/xyz2download_dir/ab13243.zip
http://www.store.com/xyz2download_dir/sd15242.zip

The customer could then try variations of the above SKUs over the next half
an hour in an attempt to download other titles.

Would it be all that difficult (is it possible, practical and not too labour
intensive) to instead send goods via e-mail as an attachment? Either with
the IC receipt or as an additional email?

In this instance typical file sizes are about 150 KB.