[ic] IC and search engines

Wed Feb 27 20:48:00 2002

Quoting cfm@maine.com (cfm@maine.com):
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:34:54PM -0500, sphen boyle wrote:
> > has anyone figured out a way to trick search engines into ranking the
> > interchange pages?  looking at past logs, we used to get a lot of people
> > finding us at google and other search engines, and ever since we started
> > using interchange, our orders have gone down and our rankings have
> > disappeared.  i would think that this would be a very important issue
> > regarding interchange.  any ideas would be great.
>
> There are all sorts of ways.  Most of them will depend on your web server,
> not on IC.  Search the mailing list archives for rewrite.

One way that works real well is to link Google into your individual
product pages. Experience has shown that if the product description is
in the <title>, it gets ranked higher when that is the search term.

(NOTE: Google's link-based algorithms sometimes make all this moot.
This method really worked well back in the days of Altavista; sometimes
my clients would be a consistent 1-3 at Altavista when searching for
a particular product.)

Make a page that does a single line link to each product:

i.e.

        [loop search="
                fi=products
                st=db
                ra=yes
		ml=10000
                "]
        <A HREF="http://__SERVER_NAME____CGI_URL__/[loop-code].html">
                [loop-field description]
	</A><br>
        [/loop]

Save this to a file, then make it available to Google to index. Voila!
Repeat as you add new products -- you can even automate it via
cron if you want.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Software axiom: Lack of speed kills.