[ic] Redirecting Based on Domain

Jonathan Melhuish interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Jan 5 11:24:02 2002

> While we are on the subject, I thought I would mention UltraDNS.com.
> I'm pretty happy with their DNS services, which start at only $5/mo.

Well if your going to do that, I'll mention that I'm totally satisfied with
Pronym's free DNS services, which include static or dynamic DNS (with
wildcard subdomains) and also web and email forwarding, if required.

I only use the static DNS (although I plan to use the dynamic DNS for
automatic switchover to a backup server, sometime in the future), but you can
define domains as 'clones' of a primary domain, such that if you change the
configuration of the primary domain, the others follow suit automatically.

In fact, this could be another solution to the subdomain redirect problem if
you don't have too many subdomains; just define each subdomain as having a
web redirect to the correct location.  It's not quite as elegant as just
defining a wildcard subdomain and then using a re-write rule, but it's
probably significantly less hassle than setting up lots of virtual hosts with
redirect pages in them yourself.

Jon