[ic] restart interchange

Tom Carroll interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Jan 6 13:47:01 2002

Quoting  Ed LaFrance <edl@newmediaems.com>

> > I'm using the rpm distribution of Interchange 4.8.3 (including
> > foundation
> > and foundation demo) on Mitel SME v5 (based on Redhat 7.1) system.
> >
> > I have Interchange automatically start when the system boots into run
> > level
> > 7.
> >
> > The system works just fine after boot up.  However, while working on
> > the
> > catalog tutorial it tells me to restart the Interchange server for my
> > catalog.cfg changes to take effect.  When I issue the following
> > command:
> >
> > su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange --restart" interch
>
> In fact, you can just log in to the UI for your catalog
> (...catname/admin/login), go the the Administration tab, and click Apply
> Changes to reconfig the catalog.  A server restart is only necessary if
you
> have made changes at the server level (like globalsubs, global usertags,
etc).

Right, but the tutorial instructions don't have any provision to create a
userdb.  We're starting from scratcvh with just the cgi link program, none
of the data, so there is no user admin pages or a login.

> > I see that the server tells me Interchange was not running.  The first
> > time
> > I saw this I thought there had been a boot up failure.  I rebooted and
> > tried
> > it again, but this time prior to trying to restart the server I did an
> > ps -ax | grep interch and sure enough it was running as pid 1244.  The
> > logs
> > show it loaded for both INET and UNIX modes (curious - I told makecat to
> > use
> > UNIX).
>
> I've always had to specify the '-u' switch to force a unix-only
start/restart,
> regardless of what I told makecat.
>
>   I issued the above command again and it once again told me
> > Internchange was not running and it started in UNIX mode only.
> >
> > When I examine the error log it tells me it is running in UNIX mode only
> > as
> > pid 1357 and the INET mode server failed to start on port 7786: bind:
> > Address already in use at /usr/lib/interchange/lib/Vend/Server.pm line
> > 1351.
> > (I still don't understand why INET is running when I told makecat to
> > use
> > UNIX)
>
> Apparently port 7786 is in use by some other program - perhaps another
instance
> of IC running on the same machine?

Yes, this is correct.  Interchange is running in INET mode upon reboot, but
the --restart command does not cause the INET instance to shutdown and
restart.