[ic] One SKU in multiple Branches of TREE

Fri Jan 11 12:58:00 2002

At 07:57 PM 01/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>In searching the archives of the list I didn't see this addressed
>specifically, but I did find mention of one SKU in multiple categories.
>Basically the thread mentioned creating a separate table that listed only
>sku and category (that is an abbreviated explanation of course).
>
>I am not sure if it is possible (usually it is if you are smart enough,
>unfortunatly on this subject I am not) to do the same thing to support a
>single SKU in multiple branches of a tree.
>
>Example: Auto-parts store sells items that are usually selected by auto
>make and year:
>
>Shocks=>Ford=>Bronco=>77-79=>SKU
>
>However many SKU's can be used across multiple branches using the previous
>logic (ie 81-83 etc.)
>
>If this is possible, what do you think the best implementation is. I had
>thought about a 3rd table implementation as listed for the single sku in
>multiple categories thread, but wasn't sure what would need to be tweaked
>to support the TREE structure.
>
>I had a few ideas, but basically my brain-train got derailed when I tried
>to figure out how I was going to support SEARCHING and other features etc...
>
>FYI, I am testing this implementation on a generic install of
>"Construct"  with the integration of the HOW TO for TREES.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Gary

Fields like category, which are used to classify and group items, need not
contain just one value - you could theoretically make one sku a member of
as many categories as you want, by filling the category field with a list
of delimited values.  This will require changes in the UI as well as in
front-end code, but it is quite doable - I have done so many times.  It's
just not implemented in the foundation demo, AFAIK.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax