[ic] Pee-Poor Documentation Rant

Prasit P interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 10:49:01 2002

> FYI, my Grandfather is blind and can tell ya more about a
> movie that
> most of the folks in the theater that can see the screen.
>  It's not
> about 'seeing' it's about understanding.

Your gran is smarter than other guys, just as you are.

> BS!  My Perl skills are far from perfect, but the more
> I've learned the
> easier the docs are to read.

See what I said!

> Ya know, this software IS free.  Meaning Mike and RedHat
> don't make a
> dime from folks downloading and using it.  Their money is
> made from
> doing development.  Why in the world should they pay a
> full-time staff
> to write documentation that would actually hurt their
> cash flow?  I

Long term profitable is what it is.  RH doesn't get much
profit from supporting this application.  They don't try to
support anyway.  I called them, left 3 messages wanting to
buy their support/customized solution and a week passed
nobody returns a call????  could you give me another smart
explanation, please?

> always love hearing the rants of folks that get something
> for free, and
> then have to bitch because they don't get exactly what
> they want.

RH is a big company.  They do this for their business
potential and growth, unlike programmers who enjoy giving
out their free script because they love what they do.  I
just hope that RH will be more profitable if they do better
documentation.  Software without manual is worth a penny.

> I started playing with Tallyman and Minivend, and quickly
> graduated to
> IC when it was released.  I personally find some of the
> documentation to
> be a bit obtuse, but I consider time spent figuring
> things out to be my
> investment.  I mean I haven't paid anything for this
> unbelievably
> complex and powerful software, why not spend the time?

Unbelievably!!  you earn $1/hour ?  So damn interesting!!!

> This is Open Source software folks.  If you don't like
> something about
> it, change it!

I wasn't trying to be negative to this applicatoin.  Just
shared my idea.  keep your ill-tempered for yourself.

=====
GROWTH - The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon,
but only to hold your foot long enough to put the
other foot higher.

-anonymous