[ic] Credit Card Processing in the UK

Lyn St George interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 13:01:04 2002

On 14 Jan 2002 16:57:31 +0000, Benjamin Johnson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>first let me say that I would have got nowhere near where I am now with
>Interchange if it hadn't have been for the mailing list archives!
>Thanks!
>
>My question is simply:
>
>Are there any people on the list who are sucessfully using Interchange
>in the UK with an online credit card processing firm? If so which one -
>and if it is US based was it simple to go about getting a US merchant
>account. I've been thinking about Verisign, but according to them I will
>need a US bank account and merchant account.
>

>Anyway, any help is much appreciated.

Hi Benjamin

To the best of my knowledge (and research) *all* US based
merchant account providers require you to have a US
address and bank account, I believe that this is also true
of US based payment gateways.

In the UK, all the major banks provide merchant accounts, with
NatWest being the favoured one usually if you want a multi-
currency setup. However, as you probably know, getting a
merchant account from a UK bank is like getting blood from
a stone for anything smaller than a top500 company.

Check out worldpay.com and securetrading.com  (both with
headquarters in the UK). As it happens, I posted about worldpay
yesterday with details of how we have it working.

>Benjamin Johnson
>Network Engineer
>
>Smart Card News Ltd.
>Web: www.smartcard.co.uk