[ic] Re: AOL in negotiation to buy Red Hat

JT Justman interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 17:46:01 2002

From: "Barry Treahy, Jr." <Treahy@mmaz.com>
To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [ic] Re: AOL in negotiation to buy Red Hat

> Ah,  Justin? Hello?!?!  The viruses of this past two years have
> exploited Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook on the desktop.  You
> consider this a reflection of 'perfectly-good' software and you run on
> e-commerce business?  This is considered acceptable risk?  An OS so
> flawed that the FBI gets their noise under the tent because MS can't get
> their act together with either the desktop or server side of their
products?

> I can't even pretend to understand your perspective on this one...
>
> Barry

Justin? Who's Justin?
First of all, I don't use M$ products to run my business. I'm as fed up as
anyone with the trojans, exploits, worms, and whatever else comes with
Windows. I was not intending to make a pro-Microsoft argument here. Besides
which, these flaws have little to do with what I was talking about... my
primary gripe with AOL is that they continue to use proprietary dialer
software when the Windows dialer works fine. Their software is _designed_ to
make the windows dialup networking system work poorly, so that other ISP
connections on the computer will not function well. Is this the sort of
tactic that we want RH to use?

Also, can you honestly tell me that AOL's browser is really more secure than
IE?

JT Justman