[ic] Documentation

john j interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 14:13:00 2002

--- Jurgen Botz <jurgen@botz.org> wrote:
> The documentation has some obvious gaps.  A bit of
> historic searching shows
> that these have been there for a while without
> getting fixed... with free
> software that can be expected, or rather, the user
> can't expect it to be
> fixed unless they do it.  But IC isn't just free
> software it's /also/ a
> RedHat supported product.  Would I get more complete
> documentation from
> RedHat?  Is the printed doc RedHat sells more
> complete?
>
> :j

I bought all 4 manual books, it's just the same as the
online document, but you can read it at home :)

Here is the problem

1. the manual is not updated.  some new ITL syntax is
not there.

2. the manu doesn't have index, makes it more
difficult to find anything you want.

3. it doesn't explain clearly how to use it. (it
doesn't show many examples or variety of how to use
it)

4. the development manual is not step-by-step thing.
it's more like reference manual e.g. you can't learn
from the book, you have to spend time using IC, and
read the book again, then you'll understand.

5. lastly, there isn't any other books about IC
available, so you have to rely purely on these
manuals.  that makes the ITL as much difficult to
learn as Assembly langague.  (my opinion anyway)

6. if you want to develop the site or change anything,
you'll find yourself spend most of your time strugling
with it, than moving it forward, as I do.