[ic] Setting up a tiny store...

Ryan Hertz interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 16:42:00 2002

At 12:05 PM 1/25/02 -0800, Cliff Stoll wrote:
>Questions:
>
>1) How do I use only the order section of Interchange?  That is, a user
>sees a popup menu on my webpage (a form/post) which takes her directly to
>the checkout page?  That is, I don't want to engage categories or left/top
>menus.
>
>2) How can the top navigation menu be entirely eliminated?  In the
>foundation store, this says, "Home, Login, Your cart..."
>
>3) How do you set a shared SSL for the checkout page?  I can't find a way
>to set this using the Wizard.  The Administration part *lists* the Secure
>URL, but I can't find a way to *set* it.
>
>4) Can Interchange be set up and managed using ftp and the adminstrative
>interface, but without shell/telnet access?  The Interchange documentation
>assumes shell access, but my ISP doesn't support this.  (Aargh - I know,
>change ISP's ...)
>

>Many thanks for your advice!  I'll happily reward significant help with a
>Klein Bottle or two!
>
>-Cliff Stoll  http://www.kleinbottle.com

Hey, are you the Cliff Stoll?

1)  Yes, you could use the order section only, you can "order" an item with
an outside link.  However, your users will then be required to use cookies
so their cart contents can be identified. (As they would "leave" the store
to go to your static pages)

2)  You will have to modify the templates to remove stuff you don't
want.  It will take some effort.

3)  If you can get the catalog.cfg file in your catalog's root, you could
use a text editor to make the change.

4)  I believe that is the idea...  at least, it can be managed very well
without shell access.   Installing Interchange definitely requires the use
of a shell, but setting up your store (as a shared user) can be
accomplished without it.

It would be a shame to neuter Interchange so much, then again, searching a
Klein Bottle would cause an infinite loop and probably crash your ISP.

-Ryan