[ic] Thanks, Debugging, and Documentation

Jurgen Botz interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Jan 26 14:15:01 2002

Thanks to Stefan Hornburg, Mike Heins, John Wrong, and John J. for
answering my questions... very helpful so far.

One thing that I've been struggeling with as I'm trying to learn
this stuff is debugging... [dump] is somewhat helpful, the catalog
log error.log shows perl errors, and of course one can always put
tags/code on a page to elucidate what's going on inside the black box.
But one thing that I think would be particularly helpful in
understanding IC is if I could sometimes examine intermediate
output of tag expansion... is there anything like this in there
that I haven't found yet?

Any other useful tricks for debugging or finding out what's going
on inside, especially on forms processing that people could share?

As for Documentation... although there are gaps, as a reference doc
it's pretty good once you understand how to use the doc itself, but
for initial learning more examples would be helpful.  I think rather
than a more comprehensive "how to build a store" tutorial a set of
small tutorial IC apps that explain specific aspects of IC (i.e.
forms processing, data base manipulation, etc.) would be best.  I
will take a shot at starting one or two over the next few weeks.

:j

--
Jürgen Botz                       | While differing widely in the various
jurgen@botz.org                   | little bits we know, in our infinite