[ic] When does IC decide to spawn a new server instance?

Wed Jan 30 13:32:00 2002

Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> Hi -
>
> The subject says it all - can anyone quantify the conditions which would
> lead to a new IC process being spawned. In other words, how is it
> determined that an additional process is needed?

Gee, Ed, I don't know what you mean, other than the standard
stuff. Might be nice to have some context...

If running in the foreground, nothing is spawned at all.

In Fork mode, (i.e. 'low' or 'high' for traffic in the standard setup),
new processes are spawned for every page.

In Prefork mode ('rpc' in standard setup) one master process exists. In
addition, an instance is forked to equal StartServers. After
MaxRequestsPerChild requests have been handled by the instance, it dies
and another is forked.

SOAP is always pre-forked, so if you have that enabled then another
N servers will be there.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Prove you aren't stupid.  Say NO to Passport.