[ic] (no subject) (should be: Speeding up queries)

René Hertell interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jul 5 14:33:01 2002

> I'd advise you to normalise your "members" table so you're able
> to perform a proper join between "members" and "users" and then
> select all the records you need in a single hit.

The reason why I have all user-skus in one column is that I use the standard
UI for picking the members. I pick them with a multiple-select select box.
This of course is a quite clumsy way, but I couldn't find out any better way
out..

> You've indicated that your existing members.member column contains
> users.sku references.  If you were to adjust the table then you
> could do this:

I could do that, but then maintaining the members-list would be more
time-consuming. Maybe I should use a temp-table that would be updated with
the member-settings just before the join-query would happen? Do you think
that this is a reasonable way when trying to keep the default UI?

> Why do you have an SKU column in your users and members table?
> You seem to be using users.sku as some form of user ID.  Perhaps
> renaming the column to something like 'code', 'userid' or whatever

I actually have code-columns instead if SKU. I thought that sku was some
sort of synonym of ID, so I "translated" it to sku for this post :)

Regards, René