[ic] exclude items from "results," "see also" and like sections

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Jul 7 12:28:00 2002

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to exclude certain items from the "results," "see also"
> sections (and the like including promos and upsell)?  Reason being that
> there are certain items that I'd like to add to the same catalog but use
> a separate logged in page to be able to view said items?  Kinda like the
> private section.  Or is the only way to do this to create a new catalog
> that is separate?
>
> Thanks. :-).
>
> --
> Ciao ?:-)
> Shirlyn, the WebPrincess

Hi Shirlyn

I have a column in my products table called "searched" I populate this with
a number:

searched
1
1
4
2
66
3
2
2

It is just a way to extend my searches. I always use some form of
coordinated search BTW. Let say that all the products found a numeric
category under "100" or < 100. My searches of all general products would
have a (basically):

sf=searched
se=100
op=<
nu=1

Then on a VIP section page, my searches would have

sf=searched
se=100
op=>
nu=1

or to include all just simply

sf=searched
se=200
op=<
nu=1

I have a very sophisticated searching setup though. This solution may slow
you down, as I am no expert. The reason I do it is so I can do faux range
searching that span specific prod_group(s) or categories etc, and are user
changable. It is hard to span something that is not numeric.

I did this becuase I heard "range" searching within a co=yes does not work
good. I could be wrong though.

If you are using a db that supports it, this column could be indexed too.

Paul