[ic] capturing payment upon shipping

Tue Jul 9 19:13:01 2002

Quoting Dan Helfman (dan@trustcommerce.com):
> I'm interested in adding to Interchange the ability to
> capture/settle/postauthorize credit card payments only when an order is
> changed to "Shipped" in the admin orders interface. I'm already
> preauthorizing the payment as soon as the order is placed by using the
> TrustCommerce payment module. What I want to know is what it would take
> to implement this feature and whether anyone has any ideas on the best
> way to go about doing it.
>
> My idea is to ask the payment gateway for a transaction ID upon the
> initial preauthorization and then store that in the Interchange order
> database. Then, when the merchant goes into the admin orders interface
> and changes the order to "Shipped", the payment gateway should be asked
> to settle the particular transaction ID for that order.
>
> The whole rationale in doing this is that Visa and other credit card
> companies mandate that a merchant not charge a customer's card until the
> product is shipped, which is (in part) why there is the separate
> preauthorization/postauthorization process to begin with.
>
> Comments?

All very possible, even easy by changing the payment module and admin
tool.

The details are painstaking, though, and I would suggest you engage a
competent consultant to help if you the preceding paragraph wasn't all
you need to hear. 8-)

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Be patient. God isn't finished with me yet.  -- unknown