[ic] Cluster and/or load balancing question

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jul 11 08:47:02 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:20:46AM -0400, Bill Carr wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 04:19, Joachim Leidinger wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >

> > I've searched for any answer in the mail archivs to get a right
> > using/installation/configuration of IC with 2 servers as a cluster and
> > later with a load balancing solution. But I'm unsure about the right way
> > to the solution.

> I use a LVS-DR setup like this:
>
>           Internet
>         ----------
>         | LVS-DR |
>         ----------
>       ----------------
>       |              |
> ------------    ------------
> | www/ic 1 |    | www/ic 2 |
> ------------    ------------
>       |              |
>       ----------------
>         ---------------------
>         | MySQL/NFS Server  |
>         ---------------------
>
> I would start with this and once you get something like this working
> consider load balancing or replicating your database. You will have a
> single point of failure in your database server so through your best and
> most sturdy hardware at it.
>
> Please go for it and become an expert. I think that there is only myself
> and Dan Browning that run any kind of rig like this now.

I'm curious as to what level of activity justifies load balancing?
Or are you doing it just for redundancy?

I'd think NFS would cost you more performance in the above setup than it
would be worth vs more beef for handling session files.

One might also consider separating www/ic into two machines.  We don't
use apache on our vanilla sites; where we do, it's a mod_perl, mod_ssl,
mod_rewrite behemoth with all the bells and whistles
and that really hammers a machine compared to WN or Roxen.  A straight
version might be a lot easier on the machine, I'd guess.  We've found
separating those mod_* apaches from ic makes a huge difference.  YMMV.

cfm