[ic] unable to send mail

Russ Mann interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jul 11 13:09:00 2002

> At 05:05 PM 7/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >Dear List,
> >
> >Every so often I am seeing this in my error log:
> >
> ><ip/session/date> catalog /store/catalog/process.html Unable to send mail
> >using /usr/lib/sendmail
> >
> >Then it prints the contents of the email that wasn't sent.  My
> sendmail is a
> >symlink to the qmail sendmail wrapper.  Has anyone else
> experienced this or
> >know of what's going on here?
> >
> >-Russell
>
> It works sometimes but not others? That is odd. I also use the
> Qmail flavor
> of sendmail and have never had a problem with it. Are you running
> multiple
> catalogs or Interchange instances under different ownerships on that
> machine? Perhaps something with the sendmail permissions?
>
> - Ed L.

Dear Ed,

I have other catalogs in the same IC config, but they're not being used at
all.  I don't have multiple IC installations.  Maybe there is a way for the
etc/report and etc/mail_receipt files to try over and over again until
they're able to send mail?

catalog.structure reports sendmail as /usr/lib/sendmail, but I can't find
any Knar or .cfg setting for it.

$ ls -la /usr/lib/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           23 May 18  2000 /usr/lib/sendmail ->
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail*

$ ls -la /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     qmail        9.4k Jun 17 15:51
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail*

I'm not using a shared host.

It has been order emails, customer receipts, and other emails also that have
failed.  The Other emails are on the missing.html page - which I use to
track down missing pages.  This is my email code:

[email
to="tech@khouse.org"
subject="PAGE MISSING ON STORE - [subject]"
from="store@khouse.org"
reply="tech@khouse.org"]Missing Page:

[subject]

http://store.khouse.org/store/catalog/[subject]

Q:   [env QUERY_STRING]
IP:  [env REMOTE_ADDR]
UA:  [env HTTP_USER_AGENT]
URI: [env REQUEST_URI]
REF: [env HTTP_REFERER]
[/email]

Any ideas on where the failure might be?

-Russell