[ic] unable to send mail

Russ Mann interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jul 11 13:49:00 2002

> to send mail

> > > sendmail is a
> > > experienced this or

> > > It works sometimes but not others? That is odd. I also use the
> > > Qmail flavor
> > > of sendmail and have never had a problem with it. Are you running
> > > multiple
> > > catalogs or Interchange instances under different ownerships on that
> > > machine? Perhaps something with the sendmail permissions?
> > >
> > > - Ed L.
> >
> >Dear Ed,
> >
> >I have other catalogs in the same IC config, but they're not
> being used at
> >all.  I don't have multiple IC installations.  Maybe there is a
> way for the
> >etc/report and etc/mail_receipt files to try over and over again until
> >they're able to send mail?
> >
> >catalog.structure reports sendmail as /usr/lib/sendmail, but I can't find
> >any Knar or .cfg setting for it.
>
> There is a SendMailProgram directive for Interchange - I believe the
> default is /usr/lib/sendmail.
>

> >$ ls -la /usr/lib/sendmail
> >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           23 May 18  2000
> /usr/lib/sendmail ->
> >/var/qmail/bin/sendmail*
> >
> >$ ls -la /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
> >-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     qmail        9.4k Jun 17 15:51
> >/var/qmail/bin/sendmail*
> >

> >I'm not using a shared host.
> >
> >It has been order emails, customer receipts, and other emails
> also that have
> >failed.  The Other emails are on the missing.html page - which I use to
> >track down missing pages.  This is my email code:
> >

> >Any ideas on where the failure might be?
> >
> >-Russell
>
> Have you checked any of the logs associated with Qmail?
>
> - Ed L.

/var/log/maillog shows when emails are sent, but I can't find any associated
errors in that file, or in /var/log/messages.  I would venture that the
failure is happening before qmail ever sees it.  Maybe its a memory error?
This only started happening when I recently switched from MV 3 to IC 4.8.3
in production useage.

-RM