[ic] Hardware?

J. Bradley interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jul 12 10:30:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Djinn" <djinn@noccentral.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 3:50 PM
Subject: [ic] Hardware?

> am quite new to the E-Commerce world, and I am going to be using
>nterchange to set up an online store.  I have a question as to how
>big" of a server to get.

That depends on the answers to your next questions as well as a couple of
others, chief among them
is how familiar you are with server administration. I don't recommend a cold
start if you don't have
any experience.  I run two catalogs with about ~4000 products and only 100
transactions a day between them. each on a virtual hosted account. Yet,
knowing more, I'm always tempted to run them on a dedicated server.
Maintaining the lowest operating costs keeps me, and them, on a shared
hosting account.

>What factors will I need to consider when
>designing a system for interchange?  Do any of you know of any good
>third party software for management, monitoring, or the like for
>interchange?

>Thanks
>Dustin Moon

Factors: Catalog size, payment system, projected growth, and technical
maintanance, either your own or
more likely a hosting solution that manages the actual hardware.
In the mailing list there are lists of vendors who provide hosting solutions
with interchange support
and someone is sure to direct you to the newest mailing list: