[ic] Cluster and/or load balancing question

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jul 16 12:48:01 2002

At 11:02 AM 7/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>> > We use MySQL for sessions, and it seems really fast.
>>

>>Dan, have you thought of posting how to use MySQL for sessions instead of the
>>traditional method? That alone would help many people with clustering issues.
>>Getting the sessions off the hard drive of one machine and into an SQL
>>server is
>>most peoples breaking point.
>>
>>I had spoken with Mike about this a long time ago...
>>
>>He mentioned his method was to have an Apache server up front. It would
>>take the
>>http requests and hand off new requests to a session server. That server
>>would
>>issue the session number. Then the client was handed back and forth
>>between all
>>the Interchange servers, since they all shared a common session database. You
>>just needed to go to the main session server first. Then, if I recall
>>correctly,
>>he had a MySQL server as well. Depending on the needs.
>>
>>So to sum it up. One Apache server, one Interchange initial session server,
>>several Interchange servers, and one MySQL server.
>>
>>With that model, if you stepped it up to say 2 MySQL servers. One for
>>sessions
>>and one for the Interchange tables, you could have a nice little boost as
>>well.
>>Again the only thing would be to publish how to use MySQL for the sessions as
>>opposed to the default methods.
>
>Consider it done (once I get back from Kentucky, that is).

A very humble beginning for the "Interchange Clustering HOWTO" is up at:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/~danb/

Please offer feedback (including how setting up MySQL sessions goes for you).

| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies <db@kavod.com>
"It's not Camelot, but it's not Cleveland, either."
                 -- Kevin White, mayor of Boston