[ic] Cluster and/or load balancing question

John Beima interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jul 16 14:59:00 2002

Quoting Mike Heins <mike@valuemedia.com>:

> Quoting John Beima (jbeima@palb.com):
> > > I think clustering is great.  Two medium boxes are about as expensive as
>
> > > one *big* box, and you get more performance for the dollar, not to
> mention
> > > the SPOF decreases some.  I went with LVS and IP affinity (so I could
> load
> > > balance SSL connections as well), and some other program that notifies my
>
> > > cell via email anytime a server goes down.
> > >
> > > I haven't clustered the database yet, but if I did I would probably try
>
> > > DBI::Multiplex (I think that's what its called) first.  As far as
> > > Interchange fits in, everything went great except for the CPAN
> > > CounterFile.pm module used by Interchange isn't NFS-safe yet (i.e.
> doesn't
> > > use fcntl locks).  However, it hasn't yet caused any problems for us;
> > > although I suppose if it did, it could be hacked to support fcntl.
> >
> > Actually Dan, I would have to disagree with that. We have ran tests on 50
> sites
> > for three months. Running Apache & Interchange on one box and MySQL on
> another.
> > The sites ran noticably slower, than running them on one duo-processor box.
> > the sum of a 7-9 second delay on many pages before they were sent out.
>
> Then you undoubtedly have reverse DNS resolution problems. On an 100MHz
> network with a switch, it should be just as fast or faster.

We were on a 1000MHz network all decked out. These boxes were co-loed at
www.tera-byte.com. I can't see how reverse DNS would cause the delay of
Interchange producing the pages. But the failure of that test was a suprise to
me. I would not be adverse to areas to look as to what could of cause the delay.
The MySQL server was refereced by IP and not name. Both servers were in each
others hosts files so DNS between then wasn't needed anyways.