[ic] Pee-Poor Documentation Rant

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jul 25 14:19:00 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:50:57PM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Mike Tipton (Mike.Tipton@uavco.com):
> > Our company is in the process of setting up the IC system. We are
> > going though the learning curve like everyone else out there, and
> > looking through these endless lists of questions.
> >
> > With this in mind, >>IF<< someone out there does write some
> > documentation for the user (i.e. a step-by-step how-to manual, or just
> > some comments on how to use a particular command) how about Red Hat
> > setting up a space on their server for "Documentation"?

> There is no good answer for all of this that I know of. The only things
> I can see that is really going to help the our user base:
>
> 1. Improvement of the existing icfoundation document would help
>    the user as opposed to the programmer.
>
> 2. A theoretical "icprogramming" document would help the programmer
>    as opposed to the user.
>
> 3. Continuing enhancement of Sonny Cook's excellent tutorial.
>
> Beyond that, we have done a fairly good job (I think) of allowing people
> to install and use the program initially with a minimum of fuss.

I don't think the problem is the documentation, but the background that
people bring with them.  It's always easier to blame it on someone else.

Perhaps a listing of background one should have vs what one can do:

Your experience                    What you can do
sysadmin, lots of *NIX and perl    anything you want

... stuff in the middle

what's telnet/ssh                  complain

Even if such a chart were purely anecdotal it would be useful to keep
people from getting in over their heads.  And fun to read too.  :-)

BOFH sez maybe about line 10 of makecat should be:

exit 1; # if you find this, comment it out and proceed.

;^>