[ic] Pee-Poor Documentation Rant

Thu Jul 25 20:41:00 2002

Quoting Brijam (brijam2000@yahoo.com):
> --- Mike Heins <mike@valuemedia.com> wrote:
> > Having written the lions share of the documentation
> > myself, I would be
> > happy to get more help such as the help given by Ed
> > LaFrance, Dan
> > Browning, and Jon Jensen.
> >
> > I do know that there are plenty of people who are
> > willing to give me a
> > one-liner asking for pages of work on my part. This
> > is a constant in
> > open source software -- there are a far greater
> > number of people
> > bemoaning the lack of work than people who actually
> > sit down and do it.
>
> Very true.  I'm working on a HOWTO for merchandising
> because I looked and didn't find what I wanted.

Excellent -- if you need help uploading it to CVS let me
know. We can also arrange to give you commit access should
you often feel an urge to write docs... ;-)

> FWIW, writing it has actually improved my
> understanding of the Interchange system, so there is a
> direct benefit apart from the 'feel good' of giving
> back.

Bingo! That is how I learned Perl, by answering questions on
comp.lang.perl.misc and writing FAQs.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman