[ic] Interchange 4.8.5 + RH 7.3

Erik interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jul 30 16:44:01 2002

I'm testing Interchange 4.8.5 (RPM Version) with RH 7.3 and RH's Apache
(apache-1.3.23-14). I've got the Interchange server running as well as
Apache and have the following perl packages installed:

perl-5.6.1-34.99.6
perl-Archive-Tar-0.22-15
perl-Archive-Zip-1.00-1
perl-Business-UPS-1.13-10
perl-CGI-2.752-34.99.6
perl-Compress-Zlib-1.16-1
perl-CPAN-1.59_54-34.99.6
perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.35-15
perl-DBD-MySQL-1.2219-6
perl-DB_File-1.75-34.99.6
perl-DBI-1.21-1
perl-Digest-MD5-2.20-1
perl-Expect-1.15-1
perl-File-CounterFile-0.12-10
perl-Image-Size-2.98-1
perl-IO-stringy-2.108-1
perl-IO-Stty-.02-1
perl-IO-Tty-1.02-1
perl-libnet-1.0901-17
perl-libwww-perl-5.63-9
perl-libxml-perl-0.07-14
perl-Mail-Sendmail-0.78-10
perl-MIME-Base64-2.12-14
perl-NDBM_File-1.75-34.99.6
perl-Newt-1.08-1
perl-OLE-Storage_Lite-0.10-1
perl-Parse-RecDescent-1.80-1
perl-Safe-Hole-0.08-1
perl-SGMLSpm-1.03ii-4
perl-SOAP-Lite-0.55-1
perl-Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.2407-1
perl-Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-0.36-1
perl-SQL-Statement-0.1021-1
perl-Storable-1.0.14-15
perl-suidperl-5.6.1-34.99.6
perl-TermReadKey-2.19-1
perl-Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0202-1
perl-Tie-Watch-1.0-10
perl-Time-HiRes-1.20-14
perl-URI-1.17-16
perl-XML-Parser-2.30-15

The interchange process starts up without any problems or errors,
however whenever I would try to make a new catalog using
(/usr/lib/interchange/bin/makecat) it *appears* that the catalog is
installed and setup properly. When you try to access the newly created
catalog via the cgi (/cgi-bin/mystore) it hangs and then returns the
standard "We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable..." error
message.

After investigating this problem it appears that the web server is
trying to read/write from the UNIX sockets in /var/run/interchange. As a
test I altered the permissions to allow anyone to read/write these
sockets and the store loads up immediately:

Before (breaks)

srw-------    1 interch  interch         0 Jul 30 11:17 socket
srwx------    1 interch  interch         0 Jul 30 11:17 socket.ipc

After (works but I wouldn't want to go live with these permissions)

srw-rw-rw-    1 interch  interch         0 Jul 30 11:17 socket
srwxrw-rw-    1 interch  interch         0 Jul 30 11:17 socket.ipc

When I installed the catalog I specified NOT to use suexec because the
installation breaks every time I've tried with that method:

####
Moving link program to /var/www/cgi-bin/blah................done.
Since you selected the SUEXEC/CGIwrap option and are root, we aren't sure
which user and group you intended to own the link program. We have selected
the catalog user's UID/GID (52/52), but this may not match your
server definition. If you get a server error, change the ownership to its
proper value and ensure that the SUID bit is turned off on the link
program (/var/www/cgi-bin/blah).

chown sampledata.xls: No such file or directory
####

It seems that apache isn't loading the cgi files as the user 'interch'??
I've also tried a default apache installation from apache.org which
produces the same results.

-rwsr-xr-x    1 interch  interch      7116 Jul 30 11:16 mystore

A colleague installed Interchange via RPM with RH 7.1 and had no issues
at all. Eventually I would like to run Interchange with suexec but I'd
suffice for a properly working demo at the moment.

Any ideas??

Erik