[ic] Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000IC and W2K can't display a secure page

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jul 31 21:12:01 2002

Curt Hauge wrote:
> Joachim Leidinger wrote:
>
>>a client reported to me, he is unable to get the checkout
>>page, which is
>>secure. He has
>>
>>Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000IC
>>Windows 2000 SP1
>>
>>He get a "The page cannot be displayed" page.
>

> Perhaps this is like my problem? I too have (had) a similar problem
> when *submitting* the order with IE6.0.2600.0000 and WIN98, and so
> does the client (IE6.x & WINXP) for one of my sites. It does not
> always happen, but 4 out of 10 times is bad enough. Sometimes it
> happens 3 times in a row, then it won't occur the next 15. Refreshing
> the page returns 'Sorry, the page () was not found'

It seems to me, in most common case, it was an user which is using WIN
2k with IE and broken SSL handling of OEM IE. I can't promise or swear,
that it is so or it happens so.

> Still trying to work it out...I can't reproduce on the Demo's, but
> maybe its a https problem? I will try on a test cat without ssl. If
> you have any suggestions, please let'em fly! :)

It seems to me, there are a little few OEM WIN 2K or OEM IE 6 with
broken ssl part of software (missing the right security service pack?)
and they is unable to handle ssl right. I see a lot of message about
that via google.com. I see a lot of error messages in the apache log of
ssl_error.log file (reseted per peer .. erno 104 or 54).

> I will check out Ed's answer, but I am sure my httpd.conf is already
> updated, thanks Ed! ;)

Updated? Have you a tool for that?

I've had that in httpd.conf, before I've reported this list about my
problem. I have told my client to visit some site with thawte cert to
check his browser. It seems to me, the browser or the windows need some
patch. It seems to me, some windows clients has problems with the thawte
cert, which is using 128 Bit ssl key or more.

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[leidinger@bpanet.de]