[ic] Cookies not persistent

Mon Jun 3 10:38:01 2002

At 10:01 AM 6/2/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >> Ok, I checked and my browser is set to accept persistent cookies.
> >>Here is
>>>the code that sets and reads the cookies:
>>>
>>>[set-cookie name=loginu value="[value mv_username]" expire="Mon,
>>>03->>Jun-2005 12:00:00 GMT"][set-cookie name=loginp value="[value
>>>mv_password]" expire="Mon, 03-Jun-2005 12:00:00 GMT"]
>>>
>>>[set name=autologin interpolate=1][read-cookie loginu][/set]
>>>[if scratch autologin ne ]
>>>[/if]
>>>
>>>This code works perfectly to set and read the cookie until the >>browser
>>>is closed and reopened.  No cookie is read then and
>>>[read-cookie >>loginu] returns nothing.  I've been over and over this
>>>and I can't figure it >>out.  Thanks!
>
>>Grant - FWIW, I enabled persistent cookies in my browser,
>>set >CookieLogin to yes in a standard 4.8.3. foundation store, and boom -
>>cookie auto->login works, even after closing and starting an new browser
>>session. The >code that actually writes this cookie is located in
>>Userdb.pm and I would recommend you let it do it's thing rather than
>>trying to roll your >own. All you have to is add a checkbox which (when
>>checked) will set mv_cookie_password to 1 on the login and/or new_account
>>forms one you >have verified that the user's browser will accept cookies...
>
>Ed- I was going to try to make the AutoLogin feature work, but after
>checking out the way it works in the Foundation demo, I decided I really
>didn't like it that way.  You aren't logged in when you hit the first page
>of the site, you have to click on a link before you are logged in.

Hmmm... I found that one I set myself for auto login, it happens at he
moment I hit the catalog. This can be confirmed with a little code on your
entry page:

[if session logged_in]You are logged in.[/if]

>  I decided I wanted to have the cookie read upon entrance, which enables
> a greeting which offers to log you in with a "Click here to be
> automatically logged in." which then logs you in.  That makes more sense to me.
>
>>I can't see anything wrong.  Have you verified that your browser is
>>receiving all of the cookie data, including the expiry date?
>>
>>I think it may be a browser problem.  Have you tried another browser
>>to see what happens?
>
>Kevin- I changed my browser settings from Enable "Cookies that are stored
>on your computer" to Prompt, and it still sets and reads as long as I
>don't close and re-open the browser.

That is a non-persistent session cookie in action. That is the default
behavior of Interchange.

>  The funny thing is I am never prompted.

Prompted... for what? If you are not seeing code that is supposed to be
called conditionally within [if config CookieLogin]...[/if] then that
directive is not enbabled.

- Ed L.