[ic] Session Dropping in High and Low Traffic

Wed Jun 5 14:49:01 2002

Quoting Kevin Walsh (kevin@cursor.biz):

> > > Yes, I've been able to make that happen.  I've never seen indication of
> > > it in a customer session, only in developer world.  Kill and restart
> > > your browser.  clear sessions.
> > >
> > This usually happens when there are two catalogs on the same
> > system and the interchange.cfg has "Mall Yes" in interchange.cfg.
> >
> > Try setting
> >
> > 	Mall  no
> >
> > in interchange.cfg (of course check the current setting if any).
> >
> > You might also remove any unused aliases on the Catalog line
> > for that catalog. The current makecat usually adds a /CATNAME
> > alias that causes an extra cookie issuance in Mall mode.
> >
> Why would that end up creating two different session IDs attached
> to the same page?  I can't see how that could happen.  I know that
> extra 'Catalog' aliases will create extra cookies, but I'm sure that
> all session ID cookies will be served with the same value.

Not necessarily. If you happen to set a cookie that is valid for / on
one catalog, and one that is valid for /cgi-bin on another, both will be
sent when going to /cgi-bin/something and they will have different
id values.

> I still think that the browser's cookie storage/retrieval functionality
> is broken and that it's returning some sort of old persistent cookie
> along with the current session cookie.

Possibly. But I have seen the above many times.

--
Mike Heins
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown