[ic] Is it possible to adjust discount per customer group basis?

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 14 05:16:01 2002

> I'm looking for a way to set discount for all items per customer group
> basis. My idea was to use the 'Price Level' -labeled field in table
> 'userdb' (the real name of the field is 'price_level').
>
> In the demo foundation this field contains values such as:
>
> - Retail
> - Dealer
> - Distributor
> - Wholesaler
> - Small business
> - Large corporate
> - Private person
> - Governmental or educational
>
> What I would like to do is to set a certain discount % to all of these
> groups and it would apply to all items.
>
> For example:
>
> customer group	discount %
> ==============	==========
> Retail		10%
> Dealer		20%
> Private		0%
>
> Let's assume item 'A' costs 100 USD.  If a customer who is a member of
> 'Retail' group buys this item, he would get it for 90 USD. Customer
> from 'Dealer' group would get it for 80 USD and 'Private' for 100 USD.
>
> In case of many items is purchased at once and pricing is for example
> 100 USD for one item and 90 USD for 2 items, and the customer buys 2
> items, the discount % would be taken from the quantity price.

You could set up a discount table, listing your discount codes,
such as 'retail' and 'dealer' etc. and the discount level for each
code, along the lines of the table quoted above.  If you save the
user's type code in the userdb table, you could look up the discount
value each time the user logs in and then use that value in a call
to the [discount] tag.

Further reading: [userdb], [discount], [data], general database management.