[ic] Interchange setup problems...

Bortz, Brennon (student) interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jun 18 18:36:01 2002

Hello,

I am having problems setting up Interchange.  I'm not setting it up on my
own server, but on an ISP.  I'm having problems setting up Interchange.
Everything sets up fine, but when I try to access the program from the web,
I get the error:

-------

No Response.

We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand, please try
again soon.

-------

I have scoured the documentation and looked all through this mailing list.
I know the Interchange service is running under the appropriate username.  I
know the .cgi link is owned by the same user and has 755 permissions.  I
believe I have traced the problem to the vlink/tlink program.  When the
program "compiles" when I run the makecat program, it creates the
foundation.cgi file, but when I try to access this file, this is the error I
get.

I thought I had traced the problem to the vlink/tlink program.  I thought
recompiling the program manually might do some good and in doing so, I think
I came across my problem.

So...I follow the directions to manually compile vlink/tlink.  Here's what
happens:

Step 1 (from the Advanced Interchange topics in the documentation) -
./configure (runs just fine...no problems)

Step 2 - perl compile.pl

This is the first place I get errors.  Here is a sample (I get multiple
hundreds of lines):

bash$ perl compile.pl
In file included from /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h:25,
                 from /usr/include/fcntl.h:33,
                 from tlink.c:29:
/usr/include/sys/types.h:33: parse error before `u_char'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:33: warning: data definition has no type or storage
cla
ss
/usr/include/sys/types.h:34: parse error before `u_short'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:34: warning: data definition has no type or storage
cla
ss . . .

. . . vlink.c:410: `__fd_mask' undeclared (first use in this function)
vlink.c:410: `readfds' undeclared (first use in this function)
vlink.c:410: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
vlink.c:411: `writefds' undeclared (first use in this function)
vlink.c:411: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
vlink.c:414: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
vlink.c:414: `__NFDBITS' undeclared (first use in this function)
vlink.c:418: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
vlink.c:427: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
vlink.c:438: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer

Literally hundreds of errors.

So, I try to do Step 3 anyways and compile the links manually, using "perl
-e 'do "syscfg"; system ("$CC $CFLAGS $DEFS $LIBS -o tlink tlink.c")'", etc.
Still I get hundreds of errors.

I have noticed that these errors are either exactly the same of very near to
the errors I get when makecat tries to create the link program.

Any ideas?  I'm about to pull my hair out.  While I am new to Interchange,
I've combed through the documentation and I'm stuck.  Any tips would be
greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you,
Brennon Bortz