[ic] how many httpd/pid instances is normal

Steve Graham interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Jun 24 22:01:01 2002

>From: Stephanie Smith <stephanie@thinkers.org>
>To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
>Subject: Re: [ic] how many httpd/pid  instances  is normal
>Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Looking at the number of httpd instances running on my server, I count
>about
> > 21 - is this normal?
>
>Very likely. Simplified, the number of httpd instances currently running
>will depend on one of two things:
>
>*the minimum number of idle servers that your web server has been
>configured to have running at any given time (default is something like 5,
>if I recall correctly)
>
>*the number of requests that your web server is currently handling.
>
>Each request that your web server responds to gets its own PID. So if your
>web server is currently configured to always have 5 idle processes
>going, and you have 9 simultaneous requests, you're going to see 14 PIDs,
>9 busy, and 5 that are waiting for something to do.
>
>If, on the other hand, your web server is only handling one or two
>requests, and your minimum number of instances is still set to 5, you're
>going to see maybe 6 or 7 PIDs.
>
>Assuming you're using apache http server.....
>
>the documentation explains all the nuances, and directives you can tweak:
>
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/prefork.html#mixspareservers

I am using apache.... I switched on our website this past weekend, all was
running ok, then it started getting real slow..... so now I am digging into
the details a little more.
System 933 P3, 512MB Ram should handle this site ok, but something still
seems a lttle lagging, actually seemed like it was running faster on the AMD
Duron 800mhz with 256Mb ram - strange, could be the motherboard though.

Thanks for the link, I'll check iut out.

-Steve