[ic] Newbie - Installation

Morrie Wyatt interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jun 26 00:52:00 2002

Hi.
----- Original Message -----
From: "RAM RAM" <rizzoracing@hotmail.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 12:21 AM
Subject: [ic] Newbie - Installation

> The person that was working at this company quit and now
> I am new to this. I need to install interchange from my
> WinXp computer over LAN to Linux Machine.
>
> Please tell me how I go about doing this. Thank you.

Unfortunately you have provided far too little information
on the task you require.

Questions:

1/. What version / distribution of linux? (ie, RedHat,
Debian, Slackware, Suse, Mandrake etc...)

2/. What access methods do you have to the linux machine?
(ie, ftp, samba (windows style networking), NFS etc..)

3/. What level of security access do you have on the linux
machine? (Consider the "root" user as an administrative
user, any other user as (at best) a "power user" to use the
Windoze vernacular.)

4/. Does your linux machine have the necessary tools
installed to allow you to setup IC? (ie, version of perl,
version of Apache (or similar), gnupg etc...)

5/. What level of access do you have on your XP box?

There are several different means of installing IC on
linux, (1) from a tarball (the filename ends in .gz or
.tgz), (2) from .rpm or .deb package file.

If samba is set up on the linux machine, you may be able
(permissions allowing) to merely copy the files to a
shared filesystem on the linux machine.

If you only have a shell account on the linux box
then you may be able to reverse the scenario and
setup a local FTP server on your XP box then use
the command-line ftp client on linux to pull the
files across from the XP box to the linux box.

If the linux box has an FTP server installed, you
may be able to ftp the file across from XP to the
linux box.

So, the bottom line is that if you want a usefull
answer then you will need to provide some of this
type of baseline information.

Do expect however to have to abandon some of the
point-and-drool familiarity of XP in favour of
some text-based command line interface (CLI) tools.

Best regards,
Morrie.

Morrie Wyatt (morrie@mtiqualos.com.au)
M.T.I. Qualos Pty. Ltd.
55 Northern Rd. West Heidelberg Vic. 3081
Ph: (03)9450-1900   Fax: (03)9450-1947