[ic] Overriding vars_and_comments function - side-effects?

Alexandra Birch interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 28 04:45:02 2002

I need to be able to nest template variables. To do this
I will have to override the vars_and_comments function
that parses the variables and comments of the html pages.

This function does the following:

1) Substitutes Global variables (@@VAR@@)
2) Substitutes Global/Local variables (@_VAR_@)
2) Substitutes Global/Local variables (@_VAR_@) again
2) Substitutes Local variables (__VAR__)

This is not adequate for my purposes and I will be
overriding this function to provide recursive parsing
of global/local variables.

Is there any reason why the variables are parsed this
way? Would there be any unforseen side effects to
overriding this function? Maybe I should override it
by creating a GlobalSub which would be visible only
within safe and the usertags, instead of overriding it
in a new package module which would override it from within
the Interchange modules as well.

Lexi