[ic] profiles.order

Steve Graham interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Jun 30 00:11:02 2002

>On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Steve Graham wrote:
>
>SG>>We like to ship to Alaska, & Hawaii via Priority mail, but I haven't
>SG>>implemented this yet (really don't want to offer priority mail unless
>it is
>SG>>AK, or HI) US Mail can be a hassle.
>
>Oh! Oh! Now you've done it! You've gotten me going!
>
>We use stamps.com for our postage for USPS. They are great!
>
>You have to haul your packages to the post office, or else pay them around
>$12.00 per day to come and pick them up.
>
>(the PO is in the same shopping center that I am and about 5 doors away
>from
>me. The branch manager refuses to pick up from me without my paying $12.00
>day. My carrier now does pretty good. In a dialog with this woman:
>"I am spending over $1,000 a month in postage. Aren't you interested in
>that
>for your office?"
>"Nope! If you want a pick up, you are going to have to pay for it!"
>"The post office is losing money and going down the tubes and you are
>wondering why!"
>[She pushed me out the door!]
>
>She insists that we stand in line for up to 45 minutes to mail our
>packages.
>The clerks on the front line feel differently and as long as she is not
>watching we can simply hand them over the counter and not wait (the fees
>are
>already paid!)
>

>They have no tracking information on the packages. They have delivery
>confirmation, and they will be quick to tell you that that is all that it
>is
>- confirmation that it was delivered. If you don't pass the package over
>the
>counter - even with the correct postage on it - it doesn't get scanned in
>the system. So, no confirmation that the package was actually mailed.
>
>If they actually scan that bar code along the path, it is not recorded
>anywheres - especially where the customer can see it.
>
>To ship stuff from coast to coast, Priority Mail is great. The post office
>continues to refuse to realize that they have any competition, and they act
>that way.
>

>-= Jim =-

Jim,

You need to download the USPS Shipping assistant:
http://www.uspswebtools.com/ShippingAssistant/SA_splash.htm

This will allow you to track your priority mailings without ANY extra cost,
and prints a barcoded label. Then you can print your postage with
stamps.com, or stick stamps on it, or go let your friendly post office for
help.

Of course, the Shipping assistant does not work to APO's, but will get it to
AK, and HI. It is a leap in the right direction. Maybe they will take their
blinders off one of these days....

-Steve