[ic] Environment MOD_PERL (was Mac OSX viable...)

Tue Mar 5 18:36:01 2002

Quoting John Young (john_young@sonic.net):

> I am a little confused about the "Environment  MOD_PERL"
> global, and the list archives don't have much if anything
> on this.  The only other documentation I discovered was
> in icconfig.txt as an example.

The only reason this is there is that I have, in the past, written
mod_perl tlink programs which do cookie-setting/session reading
external to Interchange.

There is no effect on anything -- the only thing it means
is that if MOD_PERL environment variable is set, it will be
passed along on a per-connection basis.

This is true for any environment variable. For instance, if you
wanted to, you could set an environment variable in the link program
which tells you what directory you should use as DocumentRoot, based on
the virtual host. Call it MYDOCROOT.

At that point, you can put in interchange.cfg:

	Environment  MYDOCROOT

Now, you can access this via $ENV{MYDOCROOT} in a global UserTag,
or via $Tag->env('MYDOCROOT') in embedded Perl, and get what
was set in that variable in the link program. If it is not
set in interchange.cfg, you will only get the environment that
Interchange was started with.

Nothing greatly secret or magic. Just a way of determining
which environment variables get passed along from Apache.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer