[ic] Mac OSX viable as a development platform?

Michael Stearne interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 23:04:01 2002

On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 10:20 PM, Robert Brandtjen wrote:

> Well, anything that needs a case sensitive aware file system is
> going to
> choke with out it - I know many on the Mac Lists think all of OSS
> should
> instead "fix" their apps to not need case insensitivity - but its
> not likely
> to happen anytime soon - see 'Makefile" and "makefile" on OSX 10 -
> there are
> one and the same, not so on a UFS or EXt2/EXT3FS.
>
>> Well maybe, but I'm really not interested in getting rid of OSX
>> over this.
>> I've got a spare PC with a bad motherboard, and I'd rather put the
>> time
>> nto getting that running Linux that the iMac. Setting up a functional
>> installation of X-Windows just isn't my idea of a good time... :)
>
> Hmm - well, on my box, I type at prompt "Xconfigurator"

I don't have to do that.  It's already done.

> and then I point and
> click at a few options, log out, restartx and voila - YMMV. In
> otherwords, no
> different then using the Mac Monitors control panel.

I don't have to know my vertical or horz refresh rate.  How do you
calibrate you monitor with Xconfigurator or create a ColorSync
profile for a Pantone printer?

> If you mean an install of RH or YDL, well, I install the CD, reboot,
> click on
> full Install, and set up a root account and an admin account, set up my
> networking ( easier then OSX, actually) then wait till it asks me
> for disk 2
> - takes about 30 minutes - then I reboot. No registration
> necessary - RH
> does't phone home like OSX, er ET.

> How was your install of OSX10?

It's not easier than OS X, I'm sure.  You're not comparing the "out
of the box" experience of OS X with Linux are you?  45 minutes from
when I open the box of a new iMac I can install the OS, edit a movie
and burn a DVD.

Stay with "UFS gets less fragmented", don't try to compare Linux and
MacOS on ease of use.

Michael