[ic] starting postmaster with "-i" option with demo database

Andrew McBeath interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 17:37:01 2002

Gill, Jeffrey L wrote:

> How do you automatically start the postmaster with the "-i" option to allow
> TCP/IP connections

just put -i into the startup command - eg:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

> when using the default demo (construction store) database in InterChange
> 4.8.
>
> I uderstand the use of pg_ctl but I am unable to login as postgres and do
> not know the correct -D parameter for pg_ctl -D.
> I tried pg_ctl -D /var/lib/psql/data start when logged on as a general user
> and I get
>
> $ postmaster successfully started
> $ /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.
>      Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory "/var/lib/psql/data", but
> unable to open file
>      "/var/lib/psql/data/global/pg-control/": no such file or directory.

-D needs to point to the dir that was specified when initdb was
run...(eg: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data) - also
check the PGDATA environment variable...that can be used instead of the
-D parameter...

Make sure that the database system *has* been created using
initdb...something like:

   mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
   chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
   su - postgres
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Cheers,

Andrew McBeath
System Administrator / Senior Developer
Zeald Ltd