[ic] Shipping cost wrong

Sat Mar 9 21:27:01 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, David Etheredge wrote:

DE>>I had a recent order to be shipped UPS 2nd day. The price supposedly looked
DE>>up off of the UPS site was several dollars less than actual cost.
DE>>
DE>>Internet lookup is enabled, weight was 2 lbs.
DE>>
DE>>Any suggestions?

I'm guessing that you are going by the actual bill that UPS sent you.

Both UPS and FedEx keep adding stuff on to the quoted prices.

There is a 'boondock' fee that they don't quote you. They don't want to
drive that far to deliver, so they charge you more.

There is a 'residential' fee. They add this on whenever they are not
delivering to a business. The business can be operating out of a home and
you still get charged a residential fee.

There is an address correction fee. You can address it to apartment 101 and
the person is actually in apartment 105. The drivers are instructed to
return it to the terminal for redelivery to the correct address and the
shipper gets charged (usually) a $5.00 address correction fee.

And, then there is an oversize package fee. In the terminal they take a
guess at the dimensions of the package and then double them. The computer
doubles them again and says that you are over size. UPS did that to me for
several weeks and I was paying $50 a week in oversize penalties. They did
everything they could to avoid correcting it. One night I got drunk and
called and made all kinds of threats and it finally got corrected.

I am now doing a lookup from the chart and adding on 50%. Over all, it about
equals out. I lose on some and gain on the others.

And, don't even get me going on shipments to Canada!

Just keep watch on your bills, and keep changing your formula in
shipping.asc until you are breaking even over all on your shipping.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Saturday, March 09, 2002 at 21:25 PM:
One if by LAN, two if by C.

This Linux System has been up 1632 hours