[ic] splitting out database files

Marty Tennison interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 13:41:01 2002

> How do you separate the postgresql database files in InterChange
> from the rest of the application?

Install postgress on another machine.  Make sure it works before
continuing.

> What is the command syntax and what files need to be modified that
> call and point to the database?

Make sure your DSN uses that postgress hostname name or IP

> My goal is to separate InterChange so it can exist on three
> different machines representing a three tier architecture -
> web tier, middle tier, and data tier (backend database).
>
> I only want the minimum number of files required on the database
> server. Therefore what files are required and which ones can
> moved to the other machines? Is there a FAQ on this somewhere?

This is more of a postgress question, you would probably get great
answers in that forum.

> Are there any gotchas to look out for when doing this?

Nope.  once you understand how it all works is a breeze.

> I am learning Linux and Postgresql from scratch.

Welcome to the world of freedom, flexibility and gray hair. :)