[ic] Re: Subcategories - populate comb_category table?

Dog Tags interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 14:10:00 2002

Hi Jonathan

1. Would you have a link to see an example of what you have working for subcats?

2. Also, how can you split out just one branch to display only that branch on the appropriate subcat page?

3. I have to admit that I'm still not sure where Mike's following preliminary perl code goes - the part that populates the *sql comb_category table:

###################
Prerequisites:

* SQL database. Trees are not recommended for DBM databases as the
  selects will be too slow.

* This example assumes you have added a field to your products
  database named comb_category. Use your SQL command line utility
  to add it:

    alter table products add column comb_category varchar(255);

  It will be populated with colon-separated categories. Make sure you
  reconfig the catalog ("Apply changes") to pick up the new field.

* You can populate it from prod_group and category with this code:

    [flag type=write table=products]
    [perl tables=products]
	my $db = $Db{products};
	my $ary = $db->query('select sku,prod_group,category from products');
	my $out = '';
	foreach $row ( @$ary) {
	    my ($sku, $pg, $cat) = @$row;
	    $db->set_field($sku, 'comb_category', "$pg:$cat")
		and $out .= "$sku = $pg:$cat<br>\n";
	}
	return $out;
    [/perl]
#####################

Thanks very much. I greatly appreciate your help.

DT

> I found an article by Mike Heins about his Tree Example in which
> deeper subcategories are created and displayed on the tree page.
>
> Here is a link to the full code for those who would like it:
>
> http://developer.akopia.com/archive/interchange-users/2001/msg09061.html
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. In the Prerequisites section, Mike mentions that you can
> populate the new field with the following code. Where does the code go?

put it into a basically blank page and call it from a web browser.

> 2. Can the tree code be used to create deeper subcats that could
> be displayed at the tops of the respective subcatgory pages, as
> well as on the tree page?

yes.

[snip]

> This encourages me that deeper subcats are possible. Has anyone
> created a system that can handle deeper subcats?

That's what the [tree] tag is for. I have a tree which can go as deep as you
like. Each record has field which defines its position in the tree. I use
this for a (sort of) file manager. The tree can go as deep as you like and
each level can have more folders (branches) or files (leaves). I have one
'tree' page which is called with a parameter which indicates where in the
tree to start; this could be the root, or anywhere else further down.

Jonathan
Webmaint.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Travelocity.com is giving away two million travel miles.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3969773;6991039;g?http://svc.travelocity.com/promos/millionmiles_main/0,,TRAVELOCITY,00.html