[ic] Problems with pictures

Todd Robinson interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 19:25:01 2002

> I think Todd is on the money. There seems to be a bug (two to
> be exact,
> and that I don't seem to get RH to comfirm/deny) in 4.8.3.x
> installs of
> IC on RH 7.2 systems. I had the same problem and it took me
> several days
> to figure out. It took me another two days to figure out the other
> problem with the admin images, which I'll explain down below.

I think I'm going to have to agree with this and thanks SAR as your
comments broke my referential brain lock.  The problem turns out that
makecat was writing all the directories, just in the wrong place.  It
was confusing because when I looked for them, they were right where I
_thought_ they should be, but not where I told makecat and httpd they
would be.  I am doing virtual web sites, so the root for each is like
this

/var/www/html/company1
/var/www/html/company2

So I had told both programs.  It seems makecat though insisted on
putting the interchange directory in /var/www/html.  I moved it to
/var/www/html/company1 and I have the navigation/site images now.  The
images directory was in the right place, but in makecat the ImageUrl
prompted me with /company1/images, which on first thought looked right,
but it should have been /images because my document root was already
company1.  So all the html image links were looking for regular pictures
in www.company1.com/company1/images which didn't exist.

I think I would call the first one a bug, but the second is more a case
of it just not being clear enough.  Yeah, I know that the ImageUrl
instructions say it's a URL fragment, not a directory or file name, but
with it presenting the default answer with the /company1/images it
seemed right.  Its kind of like a magicians trick where he tells you
he's not going to do something and then does it right in front of you
and you say 'Ok'.  Kind of a misdirection, because it is a relative
directory as well as a URL fragment and you want to make sure that they
both correspond with the document root as defined in httpd.conf

I'll stop now, I'm starting to ramble.

Thanks all,

Todd