[ic] Should I buy another CPU?

interch interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 00:06:01 2002

On Monday, March 18, 2002, at 08:05  PM, John Beima wrote:

G'Day Bill,

You know this is a very good question...

Here are my views on it...

We have 1 pIII-1G box with 1 1/2G of RAM serving up 300+ low traffic Interchange
sites. These sites serve about 60 Gigs a month.

hey john....

are these interchange sites using foundation? i was under the impression that foundation is not optimized very well, because our machine, some sort of AMD 650Mhz processor, with 768 Megs of ram, is serving up about 30-40 gigs a month right now alright with the load average between .8 and 2.5 or so on average.  sometimes it gets higher.  im scrambling around trying to make things go more efficient but assume ill need a better server.  This is *only* running one catalog. (~9200 products).

but since i am looking into buying new servers, it would be great to know what is necessary so i dont get something too good etc.

cheers.

-sphen