[ic] Multi-page checkout with real-time credit card processing

Sat Mar 23 17:55:01 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 04:37:18PM -0500, Bill Carr wrote:
> I really, really want to have a multi-page check out with real-time
> processing. I would like to collect order information like shipto,
> payment method, item info, etc. on various pages and then present the
> user with a final order summary (placeorder screen) and a place order
> button. From the placeorder screen I would like to give the user the
> option of leaving and returning with out having to reenter information
> already collected.
>
> Now, I have read and read the mailing list archives and the conclusion I
> draw is that it's just best to collect the credit card number as the
> last step. I have read that it is a bad idea to save the credit card
> number as a value.

For what, 20 seconds or so?  Anyone who can scarf that can scarf it
if it is present at all and they could certainly hack IC to save it
for them or use the ic user key to decrypt if that is available.

There are some issues, mostly capture vs auth and the logic of the
sequence.  On a multipage sequence you have to save the number for
the duration of the sequence, otherwise customer can change it on you
or you might end up recharging/reauthorizing it.
You can put it on the last page, but then that might not work as
"multi page".

Note that the old minivend catalogs had several variation on
multipage checkouts.  I bet they still work.