[ic] Makecat fails makedirs

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 12:14:00 2002

> Hi, I have been asking for help a couple of times, without response.  All I want are some hints of where to look or what to try.
>   So far I have IC 4.8.3 installed on a host virtual system.  It builds and makes the directories and files.  HOWEVER,
> when it gets to the line:
>  run " sh /homeX/me/catalogs/foundation/config/makdirs"? y   I hit return for yes.  The response is:
>  /homeX/me/catalogs/foundation/config/makdirs: whoami: not found

More than likely, it means that either you don't have a whoami command
installed on your system, or you don't have the command's directory
in your path.  The whoami command is in the /usr/bin directory on Red
Hat systems.

If you don't have it installed, you can do one of the following six
things:

  1) Install it. :-)

  2) Modify the makedirs script to remove the test.  I recommend that
     you ignore this option and choose to not mess with the script.

  3) Create a shell script, called whoami, and put it in a directory
     that will be scanned when the $PATH is followed.  The shell script
     contain something like the following two lines, which would emulate
     the real "whoami" command:

         #!/bin/sh

  4) If your OS's "who" command doesn't recognise the "am i" parameter
     (some don't) then you can use the following in place of the above,
     which basically does the same sort of thing:

         #!/bin/sh

  5) If that fails, replace the script with the following contents:

         #!/usr/bin/perl
         print getlogin() . "\n";

  6) If all else fails, scream!