[ic] copying catalog and setup - simple question

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 13:34:01 2002

> I installed the demo store from the makecat script and had that running.
> I next wanted to take existing catalogs that I have access to and run
> them on a different machine.  What is the best way to take these
> catalogs from the server they are currently being hosted on and run on
> and move them?  The whole interchange platform and the specific catalogs
> in this case were installed under user xyz.  I thought I could just
> archive from '/home/xyz' down the hierarchy.  Next add the user xyz on
> my other machine and finally extract the archive, so everything is in
> the exact same location as it was on the original server.  I restored
> the databases on this new machine, extracted the archive, only thing I
> changed the references to perl in the startup files
> (/home/xyz/interchange/bin/interchange and restart) because it is in a
> different directory on this new system.  After starting interchange and
> accessing the proper file in the cgi-bin directory I get the typical "
> We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable..." outputted page.
>
> What is the typical way(s) to copy catalogs when moving them?  What
> about setting the interchange configuration options like the location of
> the perl interpreter that may be different?
>
> If the scenario I presented above should have worked there just may some
> settings I am not changing.  Any advice on where to look?

What you have done seems correct so far.  Now you need to do a
couple of other things:

    1) Archive the directory hierarchy under the VirtualHost's
       DocumentRoot and install this on the new machine.

    2) Copy the cgi-bin link program from the old machine to
       the new one.  If the two machines use a different OS or
       architecture then you may need to compile the link program
       on the target machine.  You said that you got the
       "Interchange server is unavailable" message, which would
       seem to indicate that this step is complete.

    3) Copy the Catalog directive from the old machine's
       interchange.cfg file to the same file on the new machine.

    4) Restart Interchange.