[ic] Status of Paypal Intergration

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed May 1 12:31:01 2002

At 10:27 AM 5/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Again to mention WE offered to PAY RedHat to do just what Dan has
>mentioned/quoted below... With one condition, that it must wind up in the next
>public release for everyone... RedHat said NO. To me this means they already
>have a PayPal module, they just don't wish to share it...
>
>By the way, just so you know, the iTransact module does basicly what is
>outlined
>below, with a little twist. So it should be VERY easy to convert to
>PayPal, then
>alter Payment.pm to make it a seamless part of Interchange.
>
>Again both of which RedHat REFUSED to do for MONEY and then include for the
>publics benifit.
>

>John Beima

I know your side of the story, and I don't know Red Hat's.  However, I do
know this:

  * In general, contractors give the estimate terms to the customer, not
the other way around
  * Akopia/RH didn't get where they are today by refusing money (you can't
eat source code no matter what kind of paper you print it on)

If I had to guess, I would say that either there was a problem with
communication [1] (I hope that you were more polite than you are being
today) or the terms of the job weren't acceptable (not enough $, deadline
too soon, etc.).

Perhaps you could give the negotiations another shot, or arrange for a
mediator.

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies <db@kavod.com>
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.

[1] <interchange-users guidelines>
-- Contextual quoting is preferred, i.e.

                 Quoting user1 (<user1@somedomain.redhat.com>):
                 > Some limited text that will give context.

                 Your reply.

     versus

                 Your reply, lazily put at the top.

                 Quoting user1 (<user1@somedomain.redhat.com>):
                 > The whole big blob of the previous posts, including
                 > signatures and all

         In fact, the author of the program stops following a thread
         the moment this lazy quoting method is used. He figures that
         if you can't take half a minute of your time to save multiple
         minutes of the readers time, the heck with ya.
</interchange-users guidelines>